Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Weekend With the Sears

If you read my blog - ever - you know how much I love Dr. William and Martha Sears. Their books, literally, changed my life. They showed me a way of giving birth and parenting that felt right and ultimately helped shaped my career.

The Tarrant County Birth Network hosted the Southwest Birth Roundup with several amazing speakers, including the Sears and my friend, Jill Arnold. Y'all know her as The Unnecessarean or Cesareanrates.com. I just wanted to tell you about my weekend. Enjoy the pictures. :-)


We picked up the Sears at the airport on Friday afternoon. You might remember me commenting on my experience chauffeuring Ina May around when she was here. I'm a really good driver, really. But it is so nerve racking to drive someone around, thinking "I could go down in history as the one who killed fill-in-the-blank in a car accident." Fortunately, we had an uneventful car ride to the Stockyards Hotel and got them settled in.

That evening TCBN hosted a dinner where everyone got to mingle and take pictures with the Sears. I was lucky enough to sit by them at dinner. I had the opportunity to tell Martha how much her writings have affected me, as well as the Birth Boot Camp curriculum. She shared many things about growing up and their early years of marriage. She was super down-to-earth and lovely. It affirmed that she has been a good choice as a role model!

The next day was jam-packed with speakers, starting with Jill. She is so smart and has done amazing work on behalf of women and families in the US. My husband and I went to lunch with Jill, Sarah (Mama Birth - hiding her face!), my friend Alisa, and Jill's two kids. As fun as it is to "talk shop" hair is a really fun topic with Jill. I totally have hair envy so I wore my hair straight for the event - at least until the last day - but we'll get to that later. It was great to see her and get to hear her speak. The work she is doing is truly making a difference and is being recognized on a national level.

Saturday evening Dr. Sears spoke and shared tons of new information from his new book The Healthy Pregnancy Book.  It was fantastic! I wish I had had all that info when I was pregnant! In fact, we've added the book to our required reading for our 2015 Birth Boot Camp Instructors trainees.

The Birth Network Chapter Leaders (past and present) went to dinner with some of the speakers from the weekend, including Dr. Bill and Martha. We had an intimate, delicious dinner, including goat cheese ice cream -- ask Mama Birth about that one! -- and really had a great time.

We got to talking about the pictures that had been taken from the night before and I confessed that I made my famous "Tim eyes" in the picture. Of course, I had to explain my entire Tim McGraw story (including the picture) and we laughed about the whole thing. Dr. Sears said he wanted to see my hair curly so I promised to go home and wash it (sigh...).


I told them that I always refer to Dr. Sears as my "Tim McGraw of the birth world" and Martha found that quite hilarious. I told him I'd buy him a hat and we'd take a "Tim eyes" picture the next morning. Yes, he's holding my first edition copy of The Baby Book.


Sunday morning, Sarah Clark led a discussion with Martha about Attachment Parenting. It was so wonderful to hear from her. It was validating for many of us that this lifestyle can be challenging. She shared many things about raising her children -- even mistakes made -- that was refreshing and real.


Dr. Sears was hoping to take a picture on the longhorn out in the Stockyards but it wasn't out by the time we had to leave for the airport. We got a picture with a horse instead.


Honestly, they were the most down-to-earth lovely people. It was evident that their religion is important to them and governs the way they live their lives. They were thoughtful and thankful people and spending this time with them over the weekend was truly a dream come true.



And fun we had! Till next time!

2 comments:

*Jess* said...

what an amazing experience!!

Janet said...

I think I'm going to cry. :) Happy for you!