Monday, December 16, 2013

I am LOVING Juicing! The Results, Q&A, and a Few of My Recipes

It's only been a couple of weeks since I wrote the first post on juicing, but I feel that an update is necessary.  This Tuesday will be a month that we've been juicing.  I post about it a lot on my personal Facebook page and I get a lot of questions.  Apparently, y'all have been excited about what I've been doing because I have (last count) 5 people in my news feed that have bought juicers in the last couple of weeks.


It Ain't No Diet Mountain Dew in My Cup These Days!


Why I'm going to keep juicing:  

1.  No soda.  I have not had a Diet Mountain Dew since starting the juice fast.  I don't expect to go back to it.  There have been a couple of times when I wanted one but never bad enough to actually ruin what I've got going on.  It was more a part of the ritual that made me think about it than actually craving it.  I haven't had headaches at all.   I drink water with pomegranate stevia drops or water with an entire lime squeezed into it with a packet of stevia.  Most of the day, however, I drink yerba mate. Yum.

2.  I try to juice 2 meals a day.  The food pyramid described in Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead is largely vegetables (half cooked/half raw), fruit, raw nuts and seeds.  I've also had a couple of meals with some whole grains, but not much.  Meat is recommended just twice a week, but I've had it more like 4 or 5. The servings were very small.  Dairy and fats are at the top of the pyramid and I haven't really had much of that either.  I did enjoy about a 1/2 cup serving of Blue Bell Peppermint ice cream last night, but I controlled myself and just had the serving and then got out of the kitchen!  I eat a lot of nuts for snacks during the day.  The crunch, salt, and protein are satisfying.

3. I really do feel better.  I've lost the weight I gained over Thanksgiving.  My massage therapist said I've lost inches, so even though the pounds are coming off slowly, for once, it's not the main motivator, which is exactly why I feel like this is working for me!  My energy really is better. Normally, by bedtime, I am falling into bed and I'm asleep within seconds.  Now, I find myself still talking to David when I lay my head on the pillow.  I know people report they sleep better, but I slept fine before!  Now I just don't feel like I need quite as much as before.  Yay!

4.  Increased sex drive.  Do I write a paragraph about this or is it too much information?!  I don't think it's just because I'm not so tired at bedtime anymore.  It's for real.

Answers to questions I've gotten:

1.  Juicer or Blender?   We are ready to move on to a BlendTec. We are getting one this week in fact. We are anxious to make smoothies, add in some protein powder, and some things we haven't been able to juice, like banana or avocado.  There is a lot of leftover pulp with the juicing and this will allow us to incorporate the fiber and use less produce.  We will still juice once a day.  

2. Isn't juicing really expensive?  Short answer is yes, if you are still eating all of your meals.  Since we have cut out 2 meals, our grocery bill has actually gone down.  We are not eating out.  Yes, produce can be pricey.  It takes a lot to make juice.  I expect the bill might go down a little when we start incorporating the smoothies.  

3.  What if I'm pregnant and/or nursing?  I am not your care provider.  I think juicing is super healthy.  Let's face it.  I would NEVER eat all these fruits and vegetables, but now I'm getting all these nutrients I wasn't before.  I think adding things to your diet that you are deficient in (for example, orange or green veggies) by juicing is a fabulous way to get them in.  It is definitely easier to drink them than eat them if you asked me!  I would never recommend replacing meals with juicing if you are pregnant or nursing though.  You need so many other things in your diet, mainly protein.  

4.  How bad is the clean up?  Good question.  We have a Breville juicer, and from what I understand, it is easy to clean compared to some on the market.  Personally, I think cooking is messy.  This is no worse than cooking.  There are about 5 parts to the juicer and I rinse them immediately after making my juice so it's ready for the next juice in a few hours.  I use a bag to catch the pulp and I've seen a lot of people not do that.  Do it.  Then you just throw it in the trash.  Or you can attempt juice pulp crackers which I tried.  I'm still trying to master that one!

5.  What's the time commitment? No more than making a meal.  Half the time is juicing, the other half is clean up.  A juice for 2 of us takes about 15-30 minutes.  I usually make David one to take for lunch too.  If it's just me, I can do it in about 10 minutes or so.

6. Isn't it hard to keep doing it? Actually no. I'm in a groove now and can honestly say I don't feel hungry most of the time. When I am hungry I find myself making better choices.  I am trying to listen to my body and what sounds good.  Evaluating what and why I am eating has been an important part of this process.  I feel like the longer I do this the easier it's getting.
  

Recipes I've made up:

Yellow lunch juice:

Yellow pepper
2 yellow squash
3 oranges



V8 juice:
3 large tomatoes
6 med carrots
2 stalks celery
1/2 onion
1/3 cucumber
1/2 orange pepper



Green juice:

Kale
1 zucchini
1 cucumber
1 stalk celery
1 pear
2 green apples
2 kiwi

Made 2 16 oz cups.

Beet juice:

1/2 cantaloupe
1 beet
3 apples

Another fabulous green juice:

3 cups kale
1/2 green pepper
Large cucumber
3 green apples
2 pears

Broccoli juice:
Broccoli
Cucumber
Carrot
Oranges
Apple

Red juice:

Cranberries
Red grapefruit
1/2 cucumber
Red apple
Red grapes

Another green juice:

2 zucchini
3 Green apples
1 stalk celery
1 pear
2 cups spinach/bok Choy
2 cups green grapes
(Makes 2 BIG juices!)

Vibrant juice:
Red pepper
Carrots
Honeydew
Oranges

I'm not going to lie to you -- I think I'm dang good at making these recipes up.  I've even been able to look at recipes and pick out the ingredients that don't/won't make it good.  Everyone seems to feel like they have to have a recipe to do this, but the only one I've ever looked up was for the broccoli.  I hate broccoli, but the juice is fabulous.

I love juicing!  I love that I've quit soda and that wasn't the goal.  I love that weight loss is not the driving force but actually feeling better is what keeps me doing this.  Weight loss is a bonus.  

Who would have ever thought that juicing is what would work for me?!  Feel free to share your recipes and juicing success stories.  I'll let you know how things go when we work in the smoothies.  In the meantime, happy juicing!

1 comment:

Lucas Moore said...

Juices are the best for the health. I love to take juice in the breakfast. It is very good for the fitness. It convert your fat into energy. I prefer green juice.


Regards,
Goji Berry Juice