Monday, February 6, 2012

My "No Poo" Story


If you don't know about "No Poo" by now, you are so out of it!  After Mama Birth's absolute disgust, we all were intrigued, right?  I had actually heard of the No Poo thing on a DFW Holistic Facebook group I'm a part of and knew just enough to be dangerous.  The fact that Mama Birth was so grossed out just made me more excited to do it!

OK, so I read quite a bit of blogs about it, and I'm not going to lie to you -- I was pretty overwhelmed with all the recipes.  The woman that does my hair has told me that of 400 clients, she only has one other person with hair like mine.  For the record, she's totally grossed out by what I am doing.

My hair is very dry and as a result, I always go about 5 days between washings.  Otherwise, I have no oil whatsoever.  I guess I was doing the No Poo thing and didn't realize it was a movement.  I haven't gotten the "Curly Girl" book yet and I do not claim to be an expert by any means.  I've only been doing this for about 2 weeks, but I'm hooked!

Everyone has their reasons for doing the No Poo thing.  It seems like a lot of people are concerned with the chemicals in shampoo, but I'll admit, I really couldn't care less about that.  What I was reading, the people with wavy or curly hair reported their hair getting curlier, had more volume, and their hair was curling all the way to the root.  That was enough for me!

This is what I have been doing:

"Shampoo" is just baking soda.  Most recipes said to add a tablespoon to 8 oz of water.  I did that the first time, but I have so much hair, I decided to just use baking soda in my palm an add a titch of water.  I massage that into my scalp and then rinse.

My "Conditioner" step is a little more complicated.  In a mason jar, I mix the following:
* 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
* 3/4 cup water
* 1 Tablespoon honey
* 8 drops Tea Tree Oil
* 8 drops Peppermint Oil

The recipe calls for a tablespoon of food grade aloe vera gel, but I haven't bought any yet.  I've been happy even without it, but I am anxious to try it with it.

I pour it on my scalp and work it through my hair, all the way to the ends.  I leave it on for about a minute and then rinse.  I read about "plopping," but I've been doing this for years too -- just squeezing the moisture out of my hair with a towel.  I never comb it.  I have still been adding "The Conditioner" by Paul Mitchell after I'm finished with the washing, but I don't work it through my hair, pulling the hair.  I just scrunch it in and then let my hair air dry.  I never use a hair dryer. 

I am a product junkie, usually using about 4 different things in my hair after it's been washed with shampoo.  I haven't felt the need to do so with the No Poo.  It feels like there is product in my hair and it is curling to the root.  The biggest difference I've noticed, however, is the volume.  Now, I am a product of the 80's, graduating high school in '89, so needless to say, I love big hair.   The increased volume rocks!

My scalp feels much less itchy and dry and I'm going 7 days without washing.  In the morning, I just spray it with some lavender water.  The first batch I made had way too much lavender and weighted my hair down.  A couple of drops has worked great though.  Just spray and scrunch. 

I have heard great things about using coconut oil as a conditioner, so I'll let you know how that works.  There are a lot of recipes out there.  The most basic No Poo is the baking soda and then the apple cider vinegar rinse.  Just play with it and see what works for you.  I'm curious about how this works for people with oily hair.  Feel free to post your experience with No Poo here to help others figure it out.



8 comments:

bryttni said...

I've been doing just baking soda for about 2 weeks, and I have oily, curly, FRIZZY hair (hasn't been cut in a year, and its still recovering from.the pregnancy lol). Today is day 3 of just acv as a rinse....and I LOVE it. My hair is much less frizzy, super soft, incredibly lightweight, ah its beautiful! Still a hint of frizz, but we will get there. (: I'm planning to try coconut milk & castille soap as a poo soon too (: i only read the curly girl method, and I seriously didn't like it so I just went baking soda + acv (:

Pickle said...

I have very thick, oily, wavy hair. I used to wash almost every day. Then I read how that causes more oil to develop. I'm now down to just washing once a week for months and it has made a huge difference. I think after reading this I am going to try the no poo thing myself! I'm already that close anyways.

Sarah said...

Awesome! I started doing no poo 6 years ago. I've tried tons of recipes. I now use a homemade shampoo bar instead of baking soda, and a rinse similar to yours. I also use it on my kids! I have mildly wavy hair, but my seven yr old DD has ringlets, and it's great for both of us!

Janie said...

you need to read the curly girl book.

Jen said...

So Excited to try this!!! I was thinking that maybe it only works for people with curly/wavy/frizzy/dry hair, but maybe not since there seem to be a few gals with oily hair who have benefited. I think for sure it's harder for those who have to wash their hair everyday to get used to the idea (it sounds like Mama Birth may be one of those gals). I am for sure not. Like you, my hair looks better the longer it goes in between washes. It is just too dry to was too often. Can't wait to find out for myself (and my curly headed daughter).

roadrunner201 said...

Been doing the Curly Girl thing since 2009. I literally use nothing but conditioner and clear gel (and sometimes make the brown sugar scrub) on my hair and it has looked better these past 3 years than it has my entire life:-)

Bobby, Lauren, and Andrew said...

you should check out mydevacurl.com . I love their hair styling technique and I love the diffuser they have and the clips to help with volume

Ésprit said...

I've been shampoo-free for about 3 months now (am using baking soda and ACV). My hair is almost down to my butt. I decided to try shampoo again on the ends of my hair (away from my scalp), and was thoroughly disgusted at the color of the lather. The lather was grey, and so I twisted my hair to ring it out and watched DIRT fall to the bottom of my white tub. Still, in disbelief, I sprayed water onto the foamy stuff on the dry part of my tub and watched my tub turn white after the grey lather rinsed away. It's giving me doubts.

This morning, the ends that I used shampoo on feels smooth and is shiny. The areas I did not use shampoo on (my scalp area and anything above the middle of my back) has a whole other waxier texture, that I had not noticed till I tested shampoo out again.

Is there something I am doing wrong??? I'm beginning to think that the natural oils in my hair is sticky enough to hold dust and smog in the air, that it actually washed off with VO5 shampoo.