Friday, November 6, 2009

Petition to CDC: Do Not Make Circumcision Required for Newborns

It took me about 2 minutes to add my name to this petition. I have done my research -- I just haven't sat down to write a post about this topic. The CDC is declaring, falsely by many accounts, that circumcision might reduce the risk of HIV for males. There is a lot to talk about, as you can imagine. In the meantime, add your name to the petition.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/760537185?z00m=19802998

Thanks.

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

I already signed this from when you posted it on facebook. This is ridiculous! There is so much more I could say, but I will refrain...

Lena said...

Seriously, doesn't the CDC have anything better to worry about than something that may or may not help???

Restoring Tally said...

We need a few million more people signing this petition! It is unconscionable that the Centers for Disease Control is even considering the issue of routine infant circumcision.

Anonymous said...

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/research/male-circumcision.htm

The CDC is thinking about "recommending" circumcision, not making it "required." I am anti-circumcision but wanted to make sure people aren't afraid of or petitioning against things that aren't happening.

The headline of your post scared me so much I ran to the CDC website. What I found said nothing of requiring circumcisions but rather leaving the decision to the parents. At the very most they may recommend it- which isn't great but by no means will they make it mandatory.

Thanks.

HaleeBurch said...

you know what also reduces the risk of HIV, teaching your children the importance of chasteness, and keeping sex with your lifelong marriage partner. Duh.
I will be signing my name to this petition, (assuming I am not so far behind that it doesn't matter) the government has no business telling anyone that they must have any sort of medical procedure.