Tuesday, March 3, 2009
What Would I Do?
I have been thinking about my last 2 posts about induction. I gave a lot of info, and I believe that everyone needs to make their own decision based on education and what is going on with her body.
I did not mention that seeing a chiropractor might really help get things aligned and ready for labor. Ideally, seeing a chiropractor is a good idea in the last trimester, but if you haven't done so, I would recommend it at this point.
But, it's still bothering me, I didn't really answer what I would do if I were in this situation. So, if it were me, and I had been doing the entire list of natural induction methods, and my induction date has arrived without a baby...
To be perfectly honest, if everything was fine with the baby, fluid levels, blood pressure, etc., and the only reason for induction is because my 10 days is up, I would seek out an out-of-hospital midwife (most likely a CPM or LM), and see if they would attend my birth, either at home or at a birthing center. They will give you a few more days of pregnancy, for sure! Most midwives like to be able to see their clients for at least a month, but a lot will still take you on. In fact, some midwives will discount the price since your prenatal care is finished. It doesn't hurt to ask. You will only give birth to this baby one time -- there are no second chances.
OK, but insurance is what keeps most women where they are, at the hospital. Depending on whether my cervix was softening, I would possibly need to make a choice between a prostaglandin gel or pitocin. If I chose to have a prostaglandin applied on or near the cervix, depending on the type used, I would ask for the smallest amount possible, and then use my own natural techniques with it, such as nipple stimulation or pressure points. Same thing, if I end up "choosing" pitocin, I would start out really mild, the smallest they would allow, and combine it with natural methods. I would really want my birth attendant to agree to stop the induction drugs if my body starts labor with the push.
I would not allow anyone to break my water. I would likely end up on pitocin if labor didn't start right away. I really don't like that time clock. They would be less likely to let go of the pitocin if my body started contractions because of the fear of the time. Labor does not like to be rushed. Adrenalin is the opposite hormone running through the body as oxytocin! It's hard to perform under pressure.
I have loads of stories that illustrate these different things I have talked about, but I am holding back! I will be addressing the dreaded "big baby" in the next post.