Friday, December 24, 2010

Recycled: Thoughts of the Birth of Jesus

With Christmas here, I was thinking about Jesus's birth. I was so struck by all the Nativities this year. Jesus is laying on a bed of straw with all around admiring Him. I have a hard time believing that Mary was anxious to lay her baby down. I think she wanted to hold and love and protect her baby -- what an enormous responsibility this new mother had.

I have also become so sensitive to the Christmas songs about the birth of Christ. "Away in a Manger" is a song that I've always enjoyed, but I have to say, surely it is an American-written song, as only in America would we sing, "No crib for a bed." I really don't think Mary thought this was a crisis, but we sing about it as though that is what they would have to have as new parents.

Jesus was a homebirth and I bet his parents were cosleepers!

7 comments:

Sue said...

I'm so with you on that! Jesus was totally a homebirthed baby, his "crib" was certainly Mary's arms, and he was breastfed, too (and probably for years rather than weeks or months)! I used to love singing "Away in a Manger" as a child. Now I tell my own children what it must have really been like.

Christina Pond said...

Amen to that!

Mary didn't get her epidural either!

giallourakis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shannon said...

The Bible says, in Luke 2 (7)"And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn....

(12)And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger. ...

(16)And they came with haste, and found Mary, and Joseph, and the babe lying in a manger. ..."

I think that's why people put Jesus in a manger in the Nativities :-)

Your blog is really interesting! Thank you for taking the time to write it, I'm learning alot.

Holly Wilson said...

Exactly. They found "...Mary, AND Joseph, AND the babe lying in a manger. ..." As in cosleeping.

HaleeBurch said...

I have recently begun paying attention to the lyrics to songs I have sung all my life, the bad theology in many of them has been shocking to me! While I guess singing about Jesus not having a crib, is not necessarily "bad theology" I am glad you pointed that out to me, cause it definitely is indoctrination into this McDonalized American mindset.

Modern Matriarch said...

This is exactly why I LOVE my Willow Tree nativity. It depicts Mary HOLDING her baby!!!

http://www.willowtreeshop.com/willowtree2006/willow-tree-26005.html